turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife received 140k wire money from China as gifts. Her parents wired 90k and my father wired 40k. Should she file form 3520? Are her parents and my father related?

I am not sure if her parents and my father are consider to be related to each other. If not related, then there is no need to file form 3520, right? thank you so much for the answer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife received 140k wire money from China as gifts. Her parents wired 90k and my father wired 40k. Should she file form 3520? Are her parents and my father related?

No, you do not need to file the Form 3520.  The Form 3520 is required if she received more than $100,000 from a nonresident alien individual or a foreign estate (including foreign persons related to that nonresident alien individual or foreign estate) that you treated as gifts or bequests.  Her parents and your father are not related persons who have to be combined.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, you do not need to file the Form 3520.  The Form 3520 is required if she received more than $100,000 from a nonresident alien individual or a foreign estate (including foreign persons related to that nonresident alien individual or foreign estate) that you treated as gifts or bequests.  Her parents and your father are not related persons who have to be combined.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

hi, what if you received in total more than $100,000, but from different individuals? I received $50,000 each from my mom and dad ( both overseas, but different accounts), also $20,000 from another nonresident alien. This happened in 2018, and I did not file a 3520. Should I file another one now? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies