turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am doing tax planning for 2018. Can I copy all of my 2017 tax data into the 2018 Turbo tax program and then change specific items?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am doing tax planning for 2018. Can I copy all of my 2017 tax data into the 2018 Turbo tax program and then change specific items?

No.  You can "transfer" some 2017 data in to start your 2018 return, but you cannot populate the 2018 software with your 2017 data.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

7 Replies

No.  You can "transfer" some 2017 data in to start your 2018 return, but you cannot populate the 2018 software with your 2017 data.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Disappointing.  Thanks for your help!

You can open 2017 in the 2017 program and save it under another name to test in.  There is a What-If worksheet you can use to,plan for 2028.  You always use the prior year to estimate and plan for the next year.

Thank you.  The problem with that is that so many of the tax laws changed.  So the 2017 program will not give me good information for projecting 2018.

You can do that if you used desktop software for 2017--not if you used online software.
Anonymous
Not applicable

even if you were to enter all your 2018 tax info into the software, you probably won't get an accurate calculation.  certain changes in the tax laws for 2018 have not been implemented.

The 2017 What-If program has the 2018 option in it ... look again ... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies