turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johncklai

Question on the need to pay estimated tax for 2019

Hi,

For 2018 tax return I need to make a payment and Turbo tax concluded that I will have to make estimated tax payments for 2019.   The reason why i have to pay for 2018 is because I exercised my company stocks and that pushed me way over my normal total income.    For year 2019 I am pretty certain that I will get a refund (since I max out my tax withholding usually and i have mortgage interest) and my total income will be much less than 2018.  Based on this information, is it necessary for me to make estimated tax payment for 2019?   Also, if i do have to make estimated tax payment, do i need to pay all 4 payments or I just need to make enough est tax payments (like 2 instead of 4) to cover the potential taxes that I will owe?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, it is not necessary for you to make the estimated payments just because the vouchers printed with your return.  If your income situation will be different for 2019 it is fine to ignore the estimated payment suggestion. 

For the second part of your question, the idea of making the payments on a quarterly basis is so that you are paying as you go.  Making only 2 payments instead of 4 would probably be ok, unless there was still and underpayment situation at the time of filing your tax return. 

For more information, see the TurboTax article below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301872

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, it is not necessary for you to make the estimated payments just because the vouchers printed with your return.  If your income situation will be different for 2019 it is fine to ignore the estimated payment suggestion. 

For the second part of your question, the idea of making the payments on a quarterly basis is so that you are paying as you go.  Making only 2 payments instead of 4 would probably be ok, unless there was still and underpayment situation at the time of filing your tax return. 

For more information, see the TurboTax article below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301872

johncklai

Thank you very much 🙂
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies