turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a federal student loan refund after refinancing this summer. Do I pay taxes on the amount the government refunded to me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I received a federal student loan refund after refinancing this summer. Do I pay taxes on the amount the government refunded to me?

Thank you. Since it was an overpayment on a loan you already paid then it is not income.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JulieH1

Did you use the additional amount to pay for education expenses such as tuition, room and board, book, supplies and transportation?
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I did not.
JulieH1

Can you please give me a few details? Was the loan forgiven?  I am not sure I understand how you got a "refund?"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I refinanced my federal student loans mid year with a private bank. After the transfer of the loan to the new bank was complete, I received a refund check from the US treasury department, presumably for an overpayment.
JulieH1

Thank you. Since it was an overpayment on a loan you already paid then it is not income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies