Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DobbyTheElf
Returning Member

Needs Update Loop

Unfortunately even this generates an error; I get an error that says TurboTax 2019 is not installed, but it is.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Needs Update Loop

@DobbyTheElf  Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for assistance with this error:

Error: "A version of TurboTax is already installed..."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DobbyTheElf
Returning Member

Needs Update Loop

@CassLO  Thank you for your response, but I think you misread my situation. The error is not due to a competing version that is already installed, but rather the manual update does not recognize that it is installed in the first place: "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program"

Needs Update Loop

My TurboTax is doing the same thing, stuck in the update loop and can't file! 

2/18/2020

KnightCaptain
Returning Member

Needs Update Loop

RBH79

Needs Update Loop

The work around did not work for me.  I file in Illinois for state taxes and the problem seems to be with the state package for Illinois.  I WAS able to e-file federal only by making the necessary selection for federal and de-selecting Illinois.  I have paid for Illinois e-file and must wait for a fix before I am able to e-file my state taxes.  A tech rep indicated that the problem was identified about a week ago (today is 2/20/20) and the hope was that a fix might be available by early next week.

esloquent

Needs Update Loop

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Turbotax multiple times and I still get caught in the loop of hell.  It keeps telling me that I need to update, but I have already updated.  I get all the way to the end of the process and click to efile my taxes and it won't "validate" because it says it needs an update.

Needs Update Loop

I spent 90 minutes on the phone with rep today. We uninstalled/reinstalled TT 3 times. I also downloaded a new version on laptop vs CPU. Still have the same problem- stuck in update loop for IL state version. I paid $19.99 and can't file. Used the ttscleanup.zipfile cleanup tool. Uninstalled/reinstalled IL software. STILL stuck in update loop.

This is extremely frustrating. At this point, I want a refund of my filing fee and I'll mail paper copy. I have spent way too much time on this and don't want to wait week for a fix that may or may not work.

How do I go about obtaining a refund on my filing fee? Please advise

Needs Update Loop

Same thing happened to me. Reinstalling didn't work for me either. Ask the TT representative to email you a link to do MANUAL UPDATES. Apply all of them before you start TT. The prompts guide you through so just follow them. Once you are through (maybe 8-10min.) all is 'clear' and you can finally get back to the TT program and TRANSMIT with no block. Did the trick for me! 

Needs Update Loop

Same thing happened to me. Reinstalling didn't work for me either. Ask the TT representative to email you a link to do MANUAL UPDATES. Apply all of them before you start TT. The prompts guide you through so just follow them. Once you are through (maybe 8-10min.) all is 'clear' and you can finally get back to the TT program and TRANSMIT with no block. Did the trick for me!  Oh, by the way, he also had me complete any pending updates to Windows 10 (which I had pending) and updates to my antivirus (which I had pending). I don't know if this was part of the problem, but the end result worked.

Needs Update Loop

Oh, by the way, he also had me complete any pending updates to Windows 10 (which I had pending) and updates to my antivirus (which I had pending). I don't know if this was part of the problem, but the end result worked.

Needs Update Loop

MikeT1000 thank you for replying! I tried the manual email link, checking the Windows updates, checking the antivirus update. Did all this while on the phone with the very helpful, patient TT support person. NONE of it helped. Both of us were frustrated. She sent me link to fill out form to wait fur update/patch/fix for problem. I am in IL and although there are patches for MA and (i think) NY, there is nothing for IL. Internet searches found 100s of complaints about TT/IL problem, but none of the suggested attempts to fix worked. 

I'm really at a loss what to do here. I can mail in the form, but anyone from IL knows how well our state government work (read TOTAL sarcasm here!). Regrettably, I feel like mailing in a paper copy & waiting for my (substantial) refund will be faster than this. I already had to wait weeks for the IL state form to be ready for download- and now it doesn't work. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Needs Update Loop

Please reach out to customer service if you are still having issues with the Illinois forms.  

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tomqu
Returning Member

Needs Update Loop

tried all of these recommendations

still will not work

still waiting for TT to make a patch. Its been 2 weeks for me

tomqu
Returning Member

Needs Update Loop

tried this

wouldn't work either

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies