Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

need help about reimbursement and W2

Hello Tax expert, 

I want to explain my situation below for your understanding:

1. My employer paid half the rent while I was working for him for several months and coronavirus test and he paid as "reimbursement" on paystub.

(a)He was a guarantor for the rent so he signed on some rent documents. 

(b)He asked me to move to that place nearby his business address due to increase of work as I was working for him abroad remotely. 

(c)He asked me to provide the total rent receipt as his CPA needed that ( I don't know why)

2. On my 2021 w2 form, those reimbursements are not included. 

3. I double checked with him, those reimbursements are not my income. 

Question1. )

I believe I don't have to report this as my employer told me to do so. Do I have to report those reimbursement for tax filing? 

Question 2)

If I have to report, how? If I don't have to report but need some documents as proof, what do I have to prepare? 

Question 3)

He also paid some transportation as I had to take an Uber when commute for work. Do I also have to report this even though it is not included on W2?

Thank you so much for your help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should report the rent and transportation monies your employer paid you as income on your tax return. It should have been included in your wage income, as it is compensation for services you provided.

You report it in the Federal section of TurboTax, in the Income and Expenses section, then Less Common Income, then Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C, then Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099.

The income will be reported as wages on your tax return and social security tax will be reflected on your return. You should at a minimum prepare a schedule showing what you received and when. Any other documentation you have evidencing the payments you should retain as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much for your help. 

Do I have to let my employer know if I do this? Will this affect my employer's tax situation? 

Again, I believe his cpa adviced him that those are not considered as my income. But like you said, it seems income even though I used that apartment as my home office for him. Also he was a guarantor for the rent when I signed it..

Also, can I add those new income info as my state taz return just rejected due to wrong address? I got a notice my federal return was approved but i can edit income now as i have to edit the address on my tax filing..

Thank you very much for your additional help..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies