jclaudiouribe

My wife doesn't have SSN/ITIN. I have a TN Visa, she has a TD & she can't work or request a SSN. For filing jointly and claiming her 4000 exemption what should I do?

Fern

If your spouse is not eligible to apply for a Social Security number, complete a Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf).  This form will be attached to your tax return.  Turbo Tax does not support the Form W-7.  You can complete it outside of Turbo Tax.  You will have to print, sign and mail your return in if you are using Form W-7.
jorge-77

Hello,

Is the answer still valid in 2022? My spouse is in the US with a TD visa, but I understand that she cannot apply for an ITIN nor SSN because she is not allowed to work in the US.

Thanks,

Jorge

NCperson

@jorge-77 - why do you think your spouse can not apply for an ITIN?  you may be misinformed....

jorge-77

I was reading the instructions to fill FORM W-7, and I understood that she cannot apply for a ITIN. However, I just re-read it, and it seems that she can:  

"Who Is Eligible To Complete This
Form
The following individuals are eligible to complete Form W-7.
1. Any individual who isn’t eligible to get an SSN but who
must furnish a taxpayer identification number for U.S. tax
purposes or to file a U.S. federal tax return must apply for an
ITIN on Form W-7. Examples include the following.

A dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien U.S. visa holder
who isn’t eligible for an SSN. See Pub. 519."

I will give it a try. I just need her ITIN to enroll her in my medical insurance policy, I hope it will work.

Any chance that you know any company that could help with the process? 

jorge-77

Thanks, but the TD visa is not in the list. 

NCperson

@jorge-77 - do you live near an IRS office? might be quickest if she presents herself (and ncessary documents) there.  others have posted on these boards that while the IRS requires an appointment, some have walked right in and walked out with the ITIN.

jorge-77

@NCperson.

Yes, we do. We will go and ask with all the documents. Thanks a lot for your help.

jorge-77

@SweetieJean  Thanks for your help!!