turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife doesn't have SSN/ITIN. I have a TN Visa, she has a TD & she can't work or request a SSN. For filing jointly and claiming her 4000 exemption what should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
Fern

My wife doesn't have SSN/ITIN. I have a TN Visa, she has a TD & she can't work or request a SSN. For filing jointly and claiming her 4000 exemption what should I do?

If your spouse is not eligible to apply for a Social Security number, complete a Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf).  This form will be attached to your tax return.  Turbo Tax does not support the Form W-7.  You can complete it outside of Turbo Tax.  You will have to print, sign and mail your return in if you are using Form W-7.

Hello,

Is the answer still valid in 2022? My spouse is in the US with a TD visa, but I understand that she cannot apply for an ITIN nor SSN because she is not allowed to work in the US.

Thanks,

Jorge

@jorge-77 - why do you think your spouse can not apply for an ITIN?  you may be misinformed....

I was reading the instructions to fill FORM W-7, and I understood that she cannot apply for a ITIN. However, I just re-read it, and it seems that she can:  

"Who Is Eligible To Complete This
Form
The following individuals are eligible to complete Form W-7.
1. Any individual who isn’t eligible to get an SSN but who
must furnish a taxpayer identification number for U.S. tax
purposes or to file a U.S. federal tax return must apply for an
ITIN on Form W-7. Examples include the following.

A dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien U.S. visa holder
who isn’t eligible for an SSN. See Pub. 519."

I will give it a try. I just need her ITIN to enroll her in my medical insurance policy, I hope it will work.

Any chance that you know any company that could help with the process? 

Thanks, but the TD visa is not in the list. 

@jorge-77 - do you live near an IRS office? might be quickest if she presents herself (and ncessary documents) there.  others have posted on these boards that while the IRS requires an appointment, some have walked right in and walked out with the ITIN.

@NCperson.

Yes, we do. We will go and ask with all the documents. Thanks a lot for your help.

@SweetieJean  Thanks for your help!!

lbrito

I'm in the same situation, were you able to find a solution?

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

If you are married and your filing status is Married Filing Jointly, you must have an SSN or ITIN for your spouse. If you are married and your filing status is Married Filing Separately, your return cannot be filed electronically without your spouse's SSN or ITIN; however, you can mail it in. 

Your federal tax return goes to a different location depending on the state that you live in.  See this list to determine the location for you.   Where to File Paper Tax Returns (irs.gov)

If your spouse is not eligible to get an SSN, they can file Form W-7 with the IRS to apply for an ITIN.   Nonresident Spouse

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not yet. I just posted a different question (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-my-wife-does-not-have-a-sss-nor-itin-and-turbo...), and it will do the following:

1) Get my files from TurboTax leaving the "SSS/ITIN" field of my spouse empty, I am filling jointly.

2) Print the files

3) Fill the "SSN/ITIN" field with "Applied For" using a pen

4) Fill form W7 for my wife

5) Go to the IRS offices, and present my tax files + W7 + (other docs, e.g. passport)

6) Pray that everything will be ok.

We have our appointment at the IRS offices next week, I will let you know the way it goes.

If you already fond a solution, pls share it.

How did your appointment go?

I'm in the same position as you.

Appointment = Tuesday 28th. I let you know.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies