turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I both work full time. She also has her own business where she gets a 1099 MISC. Should we file the business separately from our personal returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I both work full time. She also has her own business where she gets a 1099 MISC. Should we file the business separately from our personal returns?

No, your Form 1040 is for all income that you receive in 2016.  You should report all income on the same form.

To enter a 1099-MISC, go to Other Common Income>Income from 1099-MISC.  She can also take any expenses generated because of that income.

Depending on whether she intends to keep that business for future years, it may be subject to self-employment tax.

Turbo Tax will ask you questions and file it appropriately according to the answers you give.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, your Form 1040 is for all income that you receive in 2016.  You should report all income on the same form.

To enter a 1099-MISC, go to Other Common Income>Income from 1099-MISC.  She can also take any expenses generated because of that income.

Depending on whether she intends to keep that business for future years, it may be subject to self-employment tax.

Turbo Tax will ask you questions and file it appropriately according to the answers you give.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies