Solved: My taxes were detained for a debt my boyfriend has...

klaribelponce30

My taxes were detained for a debt my boyfriend has , he added me as a dependent for 2 years but we are not married what can I do?

macuser_22

If *your* refund was taken then it would appear that your tax "lady" filed fraudulent tax returns in your name.   That is not something that you can easily fix or undo yourself.    You should see a tax professional (probably a tax attorney because you might need legal help), but not a store front tax mill.    Even many CPA's or tax professional are not familiar with the special procedures to invalidate a falsely filed tax return.

Are you sure he didn't file a Joint return with you listed as a spouse?  They can't keep your refund for him.  Something else is going on or wrong.  Like your name and ssn must have been added to that debt at the beginning.

klaribelponce30

We went to a different lady those years and after she did his taxes I started getting letters under my name from the IRS but with his ssn on them and he also received letters under his name only .. If they added me as a spouse can that be done even though we’re not legally married? 

Yikes, that sounds totally wrong.  I would go to a real CPA or accountant and get it straightened out.  You need to get copies of all those tax returns and see how they were filed.

No you should not file a Joint return if you are not married.

macuser_22