Ready to print and mail" means that you would be printing and mailing in your returns to the IRS. If you have not printed and mailed in your return and you rather e-file your return please try the following:
2. Click on the My TurboTax menu ( See attachment) and select Visit My Tax Timeline .
3. Under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO click on Add a state. (You are not adding a state to your return. This allows you to get back into your return.)
4. Click on the File tab across the top below the Search option.
5. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
6. Click the Start button to the right of Step 3.
7. This will navigate you to the Here are your filing choices screen, click I'd like to chance filing methods.
8. Change your filing method to E-file and click Save.
9. Click Continue and follow the onscreen prompts to efile your return.
When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first one will say that your return was submitted. The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected. If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.
First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted:
If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here?
https://www.irs.gov/refunds Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”
Note: If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU have to mail it yourself. TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.
TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account. TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox. TurboTax does not get updates on mailed (or e-filed) returns.
Wait about 4 weeks from when you mail a return and then you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds
State returns have to be mailed to the state.
If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.