turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My sons IP Pin gets sent to his mother but he has lived with me for the last 5 years. She claims him every year knowing I can not get the pin. What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My sons IP Pin gets sent to his mother but he has lived with me for the last 5 years. She claims him every year knowing I can not get the pin. What can I do?

Print your return and file by mail.  It will take the IRS longer to process, but they should still receive the duplicate dependent claim which will start an investigation.  Both parents should get letters asking them to prove the child lived with them.

You may also want to visit an IRS office to talk about this, or contact the Taxpayer Advocate.  https://www.irs.gov/Advocate

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Print your return and file by mail.  It will take the IRS longer to process, but they should still receive the duplicate dependent claim which will start an investigation.  Both parents should get letters asking them to prove the child lived with them.

You may also want to visit an IRS office to talk about this, or contact the Taxpayer Advocate.  https://www.irs.gov/Advocate

DadOtwo

Thank you! I try talking about this in a very calm manor but at the very end I never end up with the IP Pin and I am just at a very frustrated point now. I guess I will just have to send it by mail. I already talked to her about the consequences, but she will have to learn the hard way I guess.. Thank you for your help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies