turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

schweskas

My son still has his driver's license and license plates from IL even though he is now working in Wisconsin. Is he still considered a resident of Wisconsin?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My son still has his driver's license and license plates from IL even though he is now working in Wisconsin. Is he still considered a resident of Wisconsin?

If he has not transferred his drivers' license and plates (and, possibly, voter registration) to Wisconsin, he is still considered a resident of Illinois and would file as a non-resident in Wisconsin.  He may have to file IL taxes and show what he paid in Wisconsin.  This varies by state.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

generally, driver's license, voter's reg  etc are used to determine the residency of the taxpayer -- closer connection.

Additionally IL and WI being reciprocal state, the state of residency taxes income ( generally wages/self-employment etc. ) no matter where earned.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies