turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My NY State return was rejected due to a TT error with itemized deductions and after fixing I owe more Federal but TT did not automatically efile Federal, what to do?

(TT did not refile the amended return.)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

My NY State return was rejected due to a TT error with itemized deductions and after fixing I owe more Federal but TT did not automatically efile Federal, what to do?

You may need amend your federal return. TurboTax does not refile those. You may need to create an amendment and undo whatever changes that were made that changed the return after it was filed. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

You may need amend your federal return. TurboTax does not refile those. You may need to create an amendment and undo whatever changes that were made that changed the return after it was filed. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

Yes, this is correct.  I do need to file an amended Federal return but the forms aren't ready yet.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

The 1040-X is scheduled to be available towards the end of March; at that point, please follow the steps listed Amending a tax return in Turbo Tax.

turk8888

Why would i file an amended federal return for 2020 when i just started doing the tax return yesterday and it has not been filed????/

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@turk8888 You are responding to posts from earlier in the year when certain adjustments needed to be made to the program.  Those issues have been resolved.  However, if you are experiencing an issue for you to file your original return, please post more clarifying information so we can assist you.

I wrote the original issue.  TT calculated charitable withholding incorrectly.  NY state caught the problem and rejected my return.  TT resolved the issue and I resubmitted my NY return with no issue.  I did need to file an amended federal return.

I didn't file my NYS return yet because it didn't look right as it had me paying no taxes for the first time. You mention early vers. of TT had a bug but I am using the desktop version and ran the latest updates 4/9 but it still is messing up my returns very badly...  It's a long way from being fixed if you look at the returns it generated just this week for me!!! Beware of TT

My issue occurred in 2021 for tax year 2020 with the online web based version, not the desktop version. I did not have any issues this year for tax year 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies