Solved: My mother did not have insurance for 2016 but I checked IRS site and it said that I can file an exemption as premium is too expensive. Thanks

My mother did not have insurance for 2016 but I checked IRS site and it said that I can file an exemption as premium is too expensive. Thanks

How can I get that exemption via TurboTax ?

You will need to go to Federal Taxes->Health Insurance (at the top) to start the interview on health insurance.

You will need to answer the questions, because while the interview does ask you if you thought the premiums were too expensive (there is a check box for this), there is, in fact, a mathematical calculation defined by the Affordable Care Act to determine if the premiums were "too expensive"

And this calculation will vary based on whether your mother is a dependent of yours or you of hers or if there are other people in the tax family and what the household income is and so on.

TurboTax will do its best to guide you to an exemption, if you (or she) qualify.

I checked IRS website and according to my income and the monthly cost of my mother's insurance, she is eligible for health insurance exemption. There is a 8965 from that they asked me to fill and file it with my federal tax return. I don't know how to include this from while filing via TurboTax. Please help. Thanks

The instructions I gave you will complete the 8965 and file it as part of her return.

I can not access hardship exemption via TurboTax website.

Hardship exemptions must be applied for in advance of the return - see <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/hardship-exemptions/">https://www.healthcare.g...> . I was more thinking of getting the exemption if the premium is more than 8.05% of her income, which can be gotten on the tax return, if she qualifies.