Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mother did not have insurance for 2016 but I checked IRS site and it said that I can file an exemption as premium is too expensive. Thanks

How can I get that exemption via TurboTax ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mother did not have insurance for 2016 but I checked IRS site and it said that I can file an exemption as premium is too expensive. Thanks

You will need to go to Federal Taxes->Health Insurance (at the top) to start the interview on health insurance.

You will need to answer the questions, because while the interview does ask you if you thought the premiums were too expensive (there is a check box for this), there is, in fact, a mathematical calculation defined by the Affordable Care Act to determine if the premiums were "too expensive"

And this calculation will vary based on whether your mother is a dependent of yours or you of hers or if there are other people in the tax family and what the household income is and so on.

TurboTax will do its best to guide you to an exemption, if you (or she) qualify.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You will need to go to Federal Taxes->Health Insurance (at the top) to start the interview on health insurance.

You will need to answer the questions, because while the interview does ask you if you thought the premiums were too expensive (there is a check box for this), there is, in fact, a mathematical calculation defined by the Affordable Care Act to determine if the premiums were "too expensive"

And this calculation will vary based on whether your mother is a dependent of yours or you of hers or if there are other people in the tax family and what the household income is and so on.

TurboTax will do its best to guide you to an exemption, if you (or she) qualify.

I checked IRS website and according to my income and the monthly cost of my mother's insurance, she is eligible for health insurance exemption. There is a 8965 from that they asked me to fill and file it with my federal tax return. I don't know how to include this from while filing via TurboTax. Please help. Thanks

The instructions I gave you will complete the 8965 and file it as part of her return.

I can not access hardship exemption via TurboTax website.

Hardship exemptions must be applied for in advance of the return - see <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/hardship-exemptions/">https://www.healthcare.g...> . I was more thinking of getting the exemption if the premium is more than 8.05% of her income, which can be gotten on the tax return, if she qualifies.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies