turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jyoun26

My husband owes back taxes for years before we were married. We file jointly. Can I file an injured spouse form to prevent losing our refund to his back taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnH2

My husband owes back taxes for years before we were married. We file jointly. Can I file an injured spouse form to prevent losing our refund to his back taxes?

Yes, you can.  There are three reasons why this is beneficial for you: (1) Your Married Filing Joint return will produce a lower tax liability, generally, than two Married Filing Separately returns.  A lower tax liability will mean a greater tax refund.  (2)  Your injured/innocent spouse claim will give the IRS sufficient information to split the refund between the two contributing spouses.  This claim will protect the non-debtor’s refund from garnishment to pay the debts of the debtor spouse.  (3) When the debtor spouse’s refund is garnished, the refund amount is higher and the debt is paid off quicker.

lzcambre

Can Turbo help me file this claim? If not , can you tell me where and how to file this claim?  IRS has taken all of our refunds since we've been married but I'm willing to start with 2019 to end this payment I don't owe. Please help me.

INJURED SPOUSE

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1910698-how-do-i-file-form-8379-injured-spouse-allocation

Are you in a community property state?  If so, it gets trickier.

Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies