Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal return efile was rejected due to an ID theft issue, to get payment in I went ahead and printed paper copy and mailed with a check. How do I clear this in TT?

Someone filed under one of my dependents SSN, haven't been able to clear with the IRS as she's away at college but wanted to go ahead and file to prevent further penalties.  Can I show this in TurboTax as right now it says rejected and this automatically caused my state return efile to kick back.  I filed extension for the state.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My federal return efile was rejected due to an ID theft issue, to get payment in I went ahead and printed paper copy and mailed with a check. How do I clear this in TT?

mailing the federal will require that the state to be mailed.  There is no workaround. what do you want to show in Turbotax? 

If the duplicate use of a Social Security number caused your federal return to be rejected, the ONLY way you can file your federal AND  state tax returns is by mail.  There is no work around that will allow you to e-file either one of those returns.  Print, sign and date them in ink, and mail them.   There is no penalty if you do not owe or are getting a refund.  If you owe tax due, your returns are late and you are subject to late penalties and interest on the amount owed.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Youn should also ask your daughter if she filed a tax return....that could be why yours was rejected...if she failed to indicate she could be claimed by someone else (i.e. by you).   She needs to clearly know how not to mess yours up in subsequent years.  At least until she is out on her own.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@Cornfused357 Yes--if your college student daughter filed a tax return herself, it is very common for kids to say on their returns that no one else can claim them as a dependent---because they do not know what that really means and they have no idea what problem they will cause for their parents.   If your child say she could not be claimed, that would block you ability to e-file this year. She will need to amend and change her own answer to the question that asked if anyone else could claim her as a dependent.  But waiting for her to amend will not help you----even if she amends, you have to file by mail this year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0 My daughter did not file a tax return, didn't make enough to need to and wasn't getting anything back.  Someone else did submit a tax return with her SSN, thus the ID theft previously mentioned.  That person whoever they may be did not mark that they were a dependent.

It's been so long since I've mailed a tax form, I totally forgot about attaching the w-2's and whatnot.  I did mail them their check, so they have that so it's bought me some time and I guess I will hear back from them if they need anything else.  I guess I thought they may already have everything they need electronically.

In a perfect world the IRS would know what's going on, they have already flagged her SSN as being fraudulently used and sent her a letter, and I submitted a different form about the ID theft to them, but probably not.  And they probably don't care.

As far as TurboTax is concerned, I guess I'm wondering what will happen next year when I go to use the program, and it still shows the previous years return as being rejected and not fixed/resubmitted.

That won't affect next year.  You just will need the 2023 AGI to efile.  If 2024 rejects try entering 0 for the AGI.  If that rejects you will have to print and mail it.  Did you get an ID PIN number for your dependent so no one else can efile and claim them?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies