turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ex husband passed away and we had to file using USPS .. they never made it to the IRS .. what do we do now

USPS stopped tracking on 5/25/2021 .. due to having to handle probate, we didnt check on it thinking a Govt agency delivering to another Govt agency was a no brainer .. what do we do now
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My ex husband passed away and we had to file using USPS .. they never made it to the IRS .. what do we do now

first, contact the USPS to find out what happened.  maybe the IRS did get it. it's taking many months for the IRS to process mailed in returns so they show up in its system. 

We did check the status at www4.irs.gov .. they have no record of receiving it, hence going back to try to track through USPS .. the package stopped tracking on 5/25 without further updates.  Beings we are filing as the executors, Form 1310 has to accompany the documents which forces us to mail vs filing electronically ..

Mail it again, I guess.  It won't hurt, if it was lost, and if the IRS does process one and then they start work on the second copy, their system will alert them.  (We've had news stories about mail pieces that enter our local sorting depot and never left, including medications, financial instruments, and other important things.  COVID-19 was a stress test that broke things that were teetering on the edge, and that seems to include the post office.)

According to USPS, the return made it to Salt Lake City. That is as far as they can track it.  I guess we shall just mail it again and see what happens. Thank you all for your answers 😊

Mailed in returns will not show up on the IRS WMR? tool until they open the envelope and enter it into the system for processing ( which requires human attention) and this year the IRS has too few humans to complete all the new chores that was lumped on it this year so anything requiring human interaction  is taking forever this year ... 6 months or better is to be expected.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies