Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdb1234

My dependent daughter has a W-2 from a part time job. Do I add this to my W-2 section?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My dependent daughter has a W-2 from a part time job. Do I add this to my W-2 section?

You cannot put your daughter's W-2 on your tax return. Her W-2 goes on her own tax return, if she files one. If her income is low enough, she may not be required to file (see below). But if income tax was withheld from her pay, she will probably want to file, even if she is not required to, to get a refund of the income tax that was withheld. (Only income tax can be refunded, not Social Security or Medicare taxes.) If she is not required to file, and does not file, her W-2 does not have to be reported anywhere.

For 2016, if your daughter is your dependent and she made more than $6,300, she is required to file a tax return. If her W-2 income was $6,300 or less, and she had no other income, she is not required to file.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot put your daughter's W-2 on your tax return. Her W-2 goes on her own tax return, if she files one. If her income is low enough, she may not be required to file (see below). But if income tax was withheld from her pay, she will probably want to file, even if she is not required to, to get a refund of the income tax that was withheld. (Only income tax can be refunded, not Social Security or Medicare taxes.) If she is not required to file, and does not file, her W-2 does not have to be reported anywhere.

For 2016, if your daughter is your dependent and she made more than $6,300, she is required to file a tax return. If her W-2 income was $6,300 or less, and she had no other income, she is not required to file.

Kim Luong
Returning Member

Can I ask a questions, my son have work 4 month this year , his income under $5000, so that I can claim him as my dependent, but should I file my tax return before or after him if he also file tax return this year ? 

It depends on other things if you can claim him.  He had to only make under 4,300 to claim him.

How old is he?

Was he a full time student?

It doesn't matter who files first.  If he qualifies as your dependent he has to check the box that says he can be claimed on someone else's return.

Did he get a W2 or 1099Misc or 1099NEC?

You don't have to file if you only have W2 income under 12,400 but you can file to get back any withholding taken out in boxes 2 or 17.  But you don't get boxes 4 or 6 back.  If you got a 1099Misc or 1099NEC you have to file it as self employment income no matter how small the amount.

To file a separate return as a dependent you need to set up a new account separate from your parents.  Online is only good for one return per account.  You can use the same email address for 5 accounts.  You can probably use the Free Edition or the Free File website

Https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894512-how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-online 

Be sure on your return you check the box that says you can be claimed on someone else’s return.  If your only income is W2 and under 12,400 you do not have to file a return except to get back any withholding taken out.

Filing requirements for a dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

Kim Luong
Returning Member

Thanks for your help, my son is 19 old and he is a full time student, live with me whole year. He make $6500 for 2020.

Do you have a Question?  Sounds like he qualifies as your dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies