Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elliemh

My deceased husband and I re-married just before he passed away in 2017. He was a resident of Alaska and I live in WA How should I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My deceased husband and I re-married just before he passed away in 2017. He was a resident of Alaska and I live in WA How should I file?

So sorry for your loss.  In the year that a spouse passes away, you can still file a joint return, which will be the most advantageous way for you to file. By filing as “Married Filing Jointly” you will get the $4050 personal exemptions for each of you and the standard deduction of $12,700 for a married couple.  (+$1250 for each spouse 65 or older)

You can file a joint return even if one of the spouses had little or no income.

In My Info, you will come to a screen where you can enter the information that your spouse passed away before the date that you are filing the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

So sorry for your loss.  In the year that a spouse passes away, you can still file a joint return, which will be the most advantageous way for you to file. By filing as “Married Filing Jointly” you will get the $4050 personal exemptions for each of you and the standard deduction of $12,700 for a married couple.  (+$1250 for each spouse 65 or older)

You can file a joint return even if one of the spouses had little or no income.

In My Info, you will come to a screen where you can enter the information that your spouse passed away before the date that you are filing the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

By the way, if you still have dependent children, you can file as a qualified widow for the next two years after this, and still get the MFJ standard deduction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies