elliemh

My deceased husband and I re-married just before he passed away in 2017. He was a resident of Alaska and I live in WA How should I file?

So sorry for your loss.  In the year that a spouse passes away, you can still file a joint return, which will be the most advantageous way for you to file. By filing as “Married Filing Jointly” you will get the $4050 personal exemptions for each of you and the standard deduction of $12,700 for a married couple.  (+$1250 for each spouse 65 or older)

You can file a joint return even if one of the spouses had little or no income.

In My Info, you will come to a screen where you can enter the information that your spouse passed away before the date that you are filing the return.

By the way, if you still have dependent children, you can file as a qualified widow for the next two years after this, and still get the MFJ standard deduction.