klromero82

My 23 year old son is a full-time college student that made a little over $4,050 in 2016 am I able to claim him

He lives on campus and has a 1098 T form.  I as a parent have a 1098 E form.  How do I file?

KatrinaB

Since your son was under age 24 at the end of 2016, his income doesn't need to be under $4050 for you to claim him. He will qualify as your dependent under the rules of a qualifying child and being away at college will be considered a temporary absence. Therefore, he will be considered a member of your household for the entire year if he normally lives with you.

If you meet the requirements below, then you qualify to claim your son.

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

KatrinaB