turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 23 year old son is a full-time college student that made a little over $4,050 in 2016 am I able to claim him

He lives on campus and has a 1098 T form.  I as a parent have a 1098 E form.  How do I file?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

My 23 year old son is a full-time college student that made a little over $4,050 in 2016 am I able to claim him

Since your son was under age 24 at the end of 2016, his income doesn't need to be under $4050 for you to claim him. He will qualify as your dependent under the rules of a qualifying child and being away at college will be considered a temporary absence. Therefore, he will be considered a member of your household for the entire year if he normally lives with you.

If you meet the requirements below, then you qualify to claim your son.

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Since your son was under age 24 at the end of 2016, his income doesn't need to be under $4050 for you to claim him. He will qualify as your dependent under the rules of a qualifying child and being away at college will be considered a temporary absence. Therefore, he will be considered a member of your household for the entire year if he normally lives with you.

If you meet the requirements below, then you qualify to claim your son.

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies