turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

My 2019 return, the IRS changed the refund amount from $6,212 to $4,662.39. Justification Line 12a ( turbo tax had $4,069 ) IRS said it should have been $5,728. Why?

Are you saying that both your 2019 and 2020 Federal tax return has been rejected?  If so, an e-file rejection means that some things on your return do not match the IRS database.  Try these steps: 

• Sign in to TurboTax, select Fix my return, and you will see the reject code and explanation. 
  • Follow any 'fix it' instructions to update the information that caused the IRS rejection.  
  • Continue on to refile the return.

See also this TurboTax Help for further information.

If you have not received either or both of the stimulus payments, you will have to file the 2020 Federal 1040 tax return and receive the payments in the form of the Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your tax return.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have to correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

If you have not received your second stimulus check, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return. 

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps:  

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My 2019 return, the IRS changed the refund amount from $6,212 to $4,662.39. Justification Line 12a ( turbo tax had $4,069 ) IRS said it should have been $5,728. Why?

This is the second year in a row that this software failed to provide my tax documents correctly.  I have used TurboTax as long as it’s been on the market 15 years or more but you consider me as a “2 year” user.  Efile for 2020 was rejected at least 4 times so I have to mail it.  Last year same problem!  Next year I’ll use another product.

I never received my 2017 tax return

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Help with contacting the IRS has been provided by calling 800-829-1040.

bibiana1pinzon
Returning Member

I used TT Deluxe to efile my 2019 State Taxes. I received a copy of it staying that TT collected the efile fee, TT had processed them and I didn't need to file them via regular mail. To my surprise, when I am trying to file my 2020 taxes, CA Franchise Tax Board informed me that they NEVER received my 2019 State Taxes from TT. I need to talk with a TT representative to know why this happened, and TT filed them IMMEDIATELY and also pay for all penalties. I have NEVER be late filing my taxes every year. I trusted TT when I am filing my taxes. I have tried to call the TT customer service but the robot call is misleading my requests and I have to wait for a long time. When finally someone answered my call, the representative hang up or put me on hold and then hang up. MAY SOMEONE FROM TT CONTACT ME TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM YOU CREATED WITH MY STATE TAXES? THANKS.  

rockywilson68
Returning Member

What did my return change to

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

You may use this support contact link so that you may enter your specific issue; it will then generate a phone number for you to call. In the interim, you may check your e-file status by using this tool @bibiana1pinzon.

Mcmillen

My 2020 tax return was changed from 2693 to 1400,they said a soc number did not match?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS processes your returns after they are submitted. TurboTax has no contact with your return after it is submitted.

Please contact TurboTax support for assistance.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

oleh
Returning Member

Hello, please tell me why, when filling out a tax return for tax refunds for 2019, it gives out an error with an incorrect number, but the number indicated is correct. Tax office number: [social security number removed] Oleh Tokarchuk. I can’t apply for a tax refund.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Please provide additional details for you concern.  I do not really understand the question.  Did you file a 2020 return?  Was this return rejected by the IRS?  What was the cause of your issue?  You most like need to call IRS customer service.

IRS phone lines are typically very busy during the February through April filing season.

Before you wait on hold, try these IRS self-help options below (if you haven't already):

If you must call, make sure the IRS is the right agency to handle your request. For telephone assistance, see IRS Telephone Assistance.  Individuals can call (800) 829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time.

IRS just sent me a letter stating I do not have a refund of $413 as was indicated by the Turbo Tax assisted return I submitted. IRS states that I actually own them $3150, payable in full by May 31st. 

I'm confused. Can you explain the difference to me

Mike W.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@mdwallach2075

They may be asking for more information, that is normal. For the IRS website for notices, click here.  Please see I received a letter from the IRS for full TurboTax instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies