Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Minnesota tax Program

I have had trouble in the past using turbo tax for Minnesota is this working now>

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Minnesota tax Program

You don’t say what issues you’ve had with the Minnesota program in the past, but all supported Minnesota forms are available for filing in TurboTax.

You can look at the TurboTax Online Tax form availability page to see that your relevant Minnesota forms are ready in the Online version of TurboTax.

Minnesota tax Program

Turbo tax did not handle bonds that are not taxable in Minnesota correctly.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Minnesota tax Program

Many things have been corrected in the latest updates to TurboTax. Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
whfu
Level 1

Minnesota tax Program

I have the same problem - Treasury bill interests reported in 1099-INT Box 3 are not excluded from MN taxable income. Clearing cache does not help. I know we can report nontaxable income on the MN form M1M, but am not able to find how to access this form in the TurboTax Web version. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Minnesota tax Program

Go through each page of the Minnesota state interview carefully. There are screens in the interview to adjust Federal income or allocate income for nonresidents.

When you have finished, you can preview your return before filing to find out how your taxes were calculated. See here for details

whfu
Level 1

Minnesota tax Program

Hi,

I have checked the state Q&A three times, and saw no place to enter nontaxable incomes from Treasury interest. It would be helpful if you let us know where/which question.

As to preview the forms, you have to pay to preview the forms. I hesitate to do it without the assurance that TurboTax will actually get my state tax return done correctly.

There are other users raised this issue. I subscribed the update to a thread in which someone  from TurboTax said they acknowledged the problem and were working on it. I hope the problem will be resolved in time.
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Minnesota tax Program

The treasury interest from Box 3 on your 1099-INT form is only entered on the federal screens. Click here for instructions on entering your 1099-INT. If you have already entered it, then please do not enter it a second time. 

Your 1099-INT input will flow to your Minnesota state return. You do not have to make any adjustments on the state screens. 

I did a mock Minnesota state return with $500 in tax exempt interest income, entered on the federal screens. It correctly flowed to Schedule M1M, Line 14. On the M1 Form, it is shown correctly on Line 7. Please see the screenshots below for additional assurance. 

Schedule M1M:

M1 Form:

@whfu 

@raynicki 

bcly

Minnesota tax Program

It seems MN tax exempt numbers still don't work right in all cases.   Specifically, I have two 1099INT Box 3 Treasury  Bond amounts uploaded directly from my accounts totalling $7185.  On MN form M1M line 14 it shows $6596 for Treasury Bonds.  Why the lower (and different) number I can not reconcile.  Error #1.  

For MN filing Error #2, I have Agency bond interest received that MN Revenue confirms this specific agency interest is tax exempt in MN (Some agency bonds are MN exempt, some are not).  MN Revenue tells me to enter it in M1M Line 14 (even though it is not specifically a Treasury).  I don't see any way to append or over-ride the M1M line 14 to update it for this Agency bond interest.  So best I can tell, I have an understated MN form M1M line 14 Treasury bond interest amount (error #1) and I can not reflect the Agency bond interest payment as MN tax exempt (error #2).  

Solutions for Error #1 and Error #2?  Thanks.    

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Minnesota tax Program

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies