Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

medical deductions on schedule C

When I enter the costs of doctors, health ins, etc. , Turbo tax comes up with a higher deduction for medical than if I add them myself.  Like $16000 more.  I cant figure out what is wrong. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Medical costs are not reported on Schedule C.  They are a personal expense, not a business expense.  They are reported on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.   They are deductible to the extent they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income, and you have to itemize (as opposed to taking the standard deduction) in order to take the medical deduction.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Only health benefits you pay for employees go directly on schedule C.  Your personal medical insurance can be an adjustment to income on schedule 1.  But just the insurance.  Everything else goes on Schedule A.

How to enter in the Desktop Home & Business version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-my-health-insurance-premi...

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 17 as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Sch 1  and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

BUT do not enter any Health Care Marketplace insurance you bought. If you enter the 1095-A and select the "Self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan" box, it will automatically include those premiums in the SE Health Insurance section. So you shouldn't enter it again on schedule C.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies