turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married filing separately in CA: after allocating amounts, return still only shows my information. Is that correct?

I went through and entered all of my information, and at the end I filled out the info for allocation of income, withholding, and deductions between me and my spouse for Form 8958.  But after I did that, completed the review, and printed out a copy to check it, the tax return still shows all of my original individual amounts, not the allocated amounts.  Do I have to redo the whole return and enter in the allocated amounts?  Otherwise it doesn't seem that the correct amounts are being reported. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PhyllisG

Married filing separately in CA: after allocating amounts, return still only shows my information. Is that correct?

To properly allocate the amounts, you will have to also include your spouse's income, deductions, credits, etc. The amount entered into TurboTax should reflect all of your income and one half of the community property.  For example, your wages total $10,000 and your spouses totaled $15,000. The community property wages will total $25,000 with each of you having a share of $12,500.  Your total income to report will then be $22,500 ($10,000 + $12,500). You will follow the same method for any deductions, credits, etc. you are claiming. 

I have provided several links that will walk you through the process 

Entering income adjustments for a community property state

Complete the community property worksheet

Finish your tax returns

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies