Solved: Married filing jointly with 1 child at school, why does my return say 1 dependent?

Married filing jointly with 1 child at school, why does my return say 1 dependent?

You do not claim your spouse as a dependent, so the one child is the only dependent that will be listed on your return You do not “claim” a spouse as a dependent.  By filing as “Married Filing Jointly” you will each get the $4050 personal exemptions and the standard deduction of $12,600 for a married couple.

You can file a joint return even if one of the spouses had little or no income.