Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sdc4
Level 2

Married Filing Jointly for the first time, but we need an extension. We also live in separate states.

My spouse is in the military and we currently live in different states. As of right now, we need to file for an extension and I'm wondering if we have to file 2 separate forms? Follow up question is, do we have to file an extension together for the state taxes as well? 

This is my first time being married and filing jointly. Do we have to file separate state taxes and then file federal together? Any other advice would be extremely helpful!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Married Filing Jointly for the first time, but we need an extension. We also live in separate states.

For your federal you will file one extension on Form 4868. Please see How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?.

For the States it depends on the State. Please see Do I need to file an extension for my personal state taxes? If you need to file more than one state extension depends also on the military spouse's state of legal residence (home of record). If it is the same state as the state you live in then you will only have to file one extension (if your state requires it).

Please be aware that the service member always keeps his state of legal residence no matter where stationed and the income will be taxable in the state of legal residence unless military income is exempt by the state law. Please see What is my military state of residence? and Military Spouses and State Taxes for more details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sdc4
Level 2

Thanks so much for your response!

I just tried to apply for the extension on Turbotax and all that showed up was "This feature isn't ready yet, but we're working on it." Is there any reason for that and do you know when it will be available? Would I be better off trying to mail in my Form 4868?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

You can't e-file Form 4868 with TurboTax

Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before 11:59 p.m. April 15.

Another way to file Form 4868 is to Pay Electronically.

You don’t need to file Form 4868 if you make a payment using the IRS electronic payment options. The IRS will automatically process an extension of time to file when you pay part or all of your estimated income tax electronically. You can pay online or by phone. Go to irs.gov/Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies