Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Line 12c on Form 1040 not correct in Turbotax 2021

Michelle, thank you very much for your speedy response. I appreciate it very much.

Because I have the download version of TurboTax, the workaround works for me. Since I am not obligated to use Form 1040SR, Form 1040 (rather than 1040SR) suits me well. Actually, I prefer it. Thanks again

Several people in this and another string have remarked that with the CD/Download version of Turbotax and using the SR version of Form 1040, line 12c is blank in the PDF print version. And one commenter said that print issue could be remedied by choosing the regular version of Form 1040 instead of the SR version. This actually works, but I am afraid that if I file electronically with this regular 1040 form, line 12c might still be blank when it is sent to the IRS (and therefore be flagged). I did preview the "official forms for filing" under forms view, and it shows that line 12c is NOT blank. This is encouraging, but it would be good for TurboTax to fix this bug anyway. I hope it can be fixed soon before I file my tax forms.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

This issue has been escalated. We can assure you that the workaround does work, but we always appreciate feedback that helps to improve customers' experience. 

@GaryP9

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, Michelle,

thank you very much for your assurance that the workaround works.

By the way, I already submitted the tax return before I saw your post and it was accepted by the IRS.

I was very confident that there would not be any problems with Form 1040 for two reasons.

First, if there were a problem with Form 1040, there would certainly already be a lot of screaming on the forum or even on the internet.

Secondly, there are two possibilities how Turbotax could transmit the return to the IRS:

• It could send an actual copy of the printed return which correctly contains line 12c. Thus, no worries there.
  • If could use a transmission protocol required by the IRS. The transmission would use the internal data file (not visible) in which Turbotax stored the data. Since Form 1040 and 1040/1040SR Wks in Forms mode and the printed Form 1040 all correctly contain line 12c, it is a safe assumption that the fields of line 12c are properly reflected in the internal data file. Form 1040 and 1040/1040SR Wks of Forms mode and the printed version are just external visualizations (views) of the internal data file. The transmission to the IRS would simply transmit field by field of the internal data file, each entry identifying the field and providing the value of the field. No calculations anymore.

Best regards

12c on Form 1040 is not populating at all.  However, line 14 is correctly populating by including the number that should be in 12c as of today.  Line 14 is the sum of 13 and 12c.

I need assurance that 1040-SR Line 12C is populated correctly since our state requires a copy of the federal return along with the state return.  A blank value there might be a cause for problems.  Please fix this very soon.

Joe,

you do not need to use Form 1040SR. You can use Form 1040 instead. GaryP9 described how to switch to Form 1040. You have to use Forms mode and change the appropriate setting in Info Wks. You can only switch to 1040 if you have the disk or download version of Turbotax.

When using 1040 instead of 1040SR, line 12C is correctly populated. I checked the various internal forms and the appropriate print version (PDF) of 1040 (not 1040SR) for my return. MichelleLO from Turbotax gave me the assurance that this workaround correctly transfers the data to the IRS and, I assume, also to the state tax boards if required. You can also look at my post concernig the possibilities how the data is transmitted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies