Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi, Michelle,

thank you very much for your assurance that the workaround works.

By the way, I already submitted the tax return before I saw your post and it was accepted by the IRS.

I was very confident that there would not be any problems with Form 1040 for two reasons.

First, if there were a problem with Form 1040, there would certainly already be a lot of screaming on the forum or even on the internet.

Secondly, there are two possibilities how Turbotax could transmit the return to the IRS:

• It could send an actual copy of the printed return which correctly contains line 12c. Thus, no worries there.
  • If could use a transmission protocol required by the IRS. The transmission would use the internal data file (not visible) in which Turbotax stored the data. Since Form 1040 and 1040/1040SR Wks in Forms mode and the printed Form 1040 all correctly contain line 12c, it is a safe assumption that the fields of line 12c are properly reflected in the internal data file. Form 1040 and 1040/1040SR Wks of Forms mode and the printed version are just external visualizations (views) of the internal data file. The transmission to the IRS would simply transmit field by field of the internal data file, each entry identifying the field and providing the value of the field. No calculations anymore.

Best regards