Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JimB
Level 1

K-1 and 1099D have the same dividend. how do I adjust so I don't pay tax on the same income twice?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

K-1 and 1099D have the same dividend. how do I adjust so I don't pay tax on the same income twice?

Without going to great lengths to have corrected forms sent to you, there is an easier way to both list the dividends received in total and at the same time have one be excluded from your total income calculation.  You can list the dividends received from the broker as "Nominee" dividends and the steps below should assist you in that regard:

1. In TurboTax, go to "Wages & Income"
  2. Scroll to "Investments and Savings"
  3. Click "Edit/Add."  for the particular dividends to which this applies
  4. The next screen will ask if any uncommon situations apply, checkmark "I need to adjust" and click "I need to adjust these dividends".
  5. Place the amount of the dividends that appears on both forms in the adjustment amount line and click "you received all or part for someone else".
  6. Click continue and the portion of the dividends that applies to your doubled amount should be deducted from your income.

I suggest using the broker 1099-DIV rather than the K-1 amount as it is easier to adjust and easier to have it apply to a specific document rather than one that includes other information.  

@JimB 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Your LLC or S Corp issued you both the K-1 and the 1099-DIV?

Are you a single member LLC that invested in another company so the 1099-DIV was issued to you?

It may be a case where you will need a corrected 1099-DIV (the LLC would need to retract it) if the income went to a partnership LLC.  If you are a single member LLC then you shouldn't have a K-1.

JimB
Level 1

The 1099D was issued by my broker and the K-1 was issued by the LLC

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Without going to great lengths to have corrected forms sent to you, there is an easier way to both list the dividends received in total and at the same time have one be excluded from your total income calculation.  You can list the dividends received from the broker as "Nominee" dividends and the steps below should assist you in that regard:

1. In TurboTax, go to "Wages & Income"
  2. Scroll to "Investments and Savings"
  3. Click "Edit/Add."  for the particular dividends to which this applies
  4. The next screen will ask if any uncommon situations apply, checkmark "I need to adjust" and click "I need to adjust these dividends".
  5. Place the amount of the dividends that appears on both forms in the adjustment amount line and click "you received all or part for someone else".
  6. Click continue and the portion of the dividends that applies to your doubled amount should be deducted from your income.

I suggest using the broker 1099-DIV rather than the K-1 amount as it is easier to adjust and easier to have it apply to a specific document rather than one that includes other information.  

@JimB 

JimB
Level 1

Thank you, I overlooked the adjustment feature.

I did call the broker and getting them to reissue the 1099 would be difficult

JimB
Level 1

Problem Solved!!

The broker issues a Corrected 1099 

Thanks for all the help...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies