turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Just married on a K-1 visa, what's the best way to file?

I married last (2015) year using a K-1 visa. He is still in the process of Adjustment of Status, has a social security number, and has no income. For 2016 taxes, do I file jointly, separately, as head of the household, etc? Also, is he considered a dependent of mine? What is the best route to go?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Congratulations. Now as a married individual, if you are married as of the last day of the year (December 31), you are considered for tax purposes to have been married for the entire tax year. Therefore, you only have the option of filing a either married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separately (MFS). 

Since you mentioned that your spouse has a Social Security number but has no income (see below*), your tax liability will be lower by filing as married filing jointly because:

• You will get an extra exemption for your spouse (one exemption for each of you). Please do not also claim your spouse as a dependent. TurboTax will guide you with inputting this information.
  • You will get the benefit of having the your taxable income taxed at a lower marginal rate (as opposed to the higher marginal tax rate of MFS)

* about your spouse's income - by including your spouse on your tax return, your spouse's worldwide income will be taxed by the United States. This includes both US and Foreign earned (ie: wages) and unearned (ie: bank interest) income from all sources. So if your spouse does not have any US income but does have foreign income, that foreign income will need to be included on your married filing jointly tax return (reported in US dollars). The Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate. In general, use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive the income that needs to be reported. Please refer to the following IRS links for more information about Foreign Currency and Currency Exchange Rates and Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DS30

Congratulations. Now as a married individual, if you are married as of the last day of the year (December 31), you are considered for tax purposes to have been married for the entire tax year. Therefore, you only have the option of filing a either married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separately (MFS). 

Since you mentioned that your spouse has a Social Security number but has no income (see below*), your tax liability will be lower by filing as married filing jointly because:

• You will get an extra exemption for your spouse (one exemption for each of you). Please do not also claim your spouse as a dependent. TurboTax will guide you with inputting this information.
  • You will get the benefit of having the your taxable income taxed at a lower marginal rate (as opposed to the higher marginal tax rate of MFS)

* about your spouse's income - by including your spouse on your tax return, your spouse's worldwide income will be taxed by the United States. This includes both US and Foreign earned (ie: wages) and unearned (ie: bank interest) income from all sources. So if your spouse does not have any US income but does have foreign income, that foreign income will need to be included on your married filing jointly tax return (reported in US dollars). The Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate. In general, use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive the income that needs to be reported. Please refer to the following IRS links for more information about Foreign Currency and Currency Exchange Rates and Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates

Hello, I have a very similar situation as the person who asked the question, however my spouse does NOT yet have an SSN or ITIN as we are still waiting for that information from the federal government. How can I include him on TurboTax as married filing jointly if he does not have on of these numbers?
cranderss

I have this question too. Turbotax???

Same problem here.  I think you have to do it by hand.
hockeydja

We had the same issue. Ended up marking "Married filing separately" then filing an extension (wouldn't let me extend without my spouse's SSN), as we assumed my spouse's early work visa or green card (therefore allowing us to apply for SSN) would arrive before the extension deadline. It just arrived, so filing now.

I'm in the same situation. Still waiting for my wife to get the SSN.

How did you file your taxes?

Wait for the SS# if it has been applied for already and do not file until you get it.  Go on extension if needed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies