rose255

It says "you entered CA SDI and/or VPDI greater than "$$". Since the maximum SDI/VPDI withholding for 2020 is "$$", you may have entered an incorrect code in box 14

everything is entered exactly as shown on W-2 so I dont know why I keep getting this error here
LenaH

If you had one W-2, and your CA SDI amount is over $1,229.09, you should get a refund from your employer. However, if the difference is less than .50 cents off, then please adjust the amount to $1,229.09. This should remove the error and allow you to file. 

Typically, excess CA SDI is if you had more than 1 employer and all together they took out more than the max of $1,229.09. Then you get the excess back on your California return as a refund on your CA 540, line 74.

[Edited 3/15/21 l 5:50PM PST]

rose255

Yes, it is above that amount but it still doesn't remove the error message that I am receiving

LenaH

How much above that amount is in Box 14? If less than .50 cents, did you change the amount to $1,229.09?

@rose255

[Edited 3/15/21 l 5:51PM PST]

rose255

LenaH

I have edited the above posts. The limit is $1,229.09 for 2020. Can you try entering $1,229.08 and see if that clears the error for you?

@rose255

Vik1969

I tried everything and it goes in an endless loop. My amount is $1,229.09 and I tried changing it to 1,229.08 or even $1,228, Turbotax goes in an endless loop. It's a bug, please fix it or tell me how to surpass this. 

rose255

I also had a vpdi and when I removed that line item, it finally let me surpass the error message. Does that help for you? And I know what you mean about the endless loop/bug because I was stuck for a while on the Federal portion due to the Turbo bug.

delroyf

I get exactly the same error message. My W2 has $1229.09 in Box 14 for CA VPDI and yet TurboTax says that I cannot exceed that amount, which I do not. 

carel878

I have the same error even though my SDI is 1,229.09. I have tried lowering it but get the same error. Has anyone figured out how to get out of this error loop so I can E-File?

noneofyourbusiness12345CA

I had the same issue.  I had multiple line items in box 14 and TurboTax had incorrectly tagged another line as 'CA SDI'  so the sum of the correct line (with the $1209.09 amount) and the incorrectly tagged second line was higher than the $1209.09.  Once I corrected the tag for the other line I was able to efile without problem.  Good luck!

thieun3

The amount I put in is $1229.09 but I'm still getting this error. Could you please help?

bacha

I am getting the same error. Tried lower amounts or deleting the entry but same issue. Intuit team please help quick!

jane28

i'm running the same issue, even I get changed the number to 1228, turboTax will come back with 1228.  Please let me how to surpass this

delroyf

I don’t have TurboTax up in front of me, but I was eventually able to fix this problem. 

Besides the dollar amount, there are two text fields, one on the left and one one the right if my memory is correct , that TurboTax auto-populated when it read in my W2. One of these two fields is wrong. When I changed it, the error went away. Lowering the dollar amount by a little won’t help.