turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which one should I choose between Deluxe and Self-Employed in order to complete the tax return?

I've been hired as an independent contractor and received 1099-MISC.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Which one should I choose between Deluxe and Self-Employed in order to complete the tax return?

It depends on if you have expenses for the independent contract work (Form 1099-MISC).  For the online program, if you have any expenses to report for independent contract work, then you would need to use the Self-Employed Version.  If you don't have any expenses, then you can just use the Deluxe version.  If you aren't sure, you can always start in Deluxe and then upgrade to Self Employed later (you can't revert back to Deluxe from Self Employed without clearing your return).

If you want to use the desktop software (i.e CD disc), then TurboTax Deluxe will contain all the forms necessary to file your return.  But, the Home and Business may contain additional guidance on some matters if you have a lot of business information to enter.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It depends on if you have expenses for the independent contract work (Form 1099-MISC).  For the online program, if you have any expenses to report for independent contract work, then you would need to use the Self-Employed Version.  If you don't have any expenses, then you can just use the Deluxe version.  If you aren't sure, you can always start in Deluxe and then upgrade to Self Employed later (you can't revert back to Deluxe from Self Employed without clearing your return).

If you want to use the desktop software (i.e CD disc), then TurboTax Deluxe will contain all the forms necessary to file your return.  But, the Home and Business may contain additional guidance on some matters if you have a lot of business information to enter.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies