turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmskibo

On my W-2 the Employer's State ID Number is blank and has been for many years. But before I can E-file it is having me add a number in that block.

This W2 is for active duty military and my state was TX
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

On my W-2 the Employer's State ID Number is blank and has been for many years. But before I can E-file it is having me add a number in that block.

It actually makes sense that your state ID number would be blank on your W-2, if your home state is Texas.  That's for the very simple reason that (as I'm certain you are already aware) Texas has no personal income tax system.  Nevertheless, because of the security and error-checking features in the TurboTax software, and because of IRS requirements for e-filing, this can pose a problem.

As a very first attempt at a solution, I would respectfully suggest that you just enter your federal ID (your EIN from your W-2, that is) over again in the state ID box.  That should be an acceptable value, although you may need to remove the dash, such that 99-1234567 becomes 991234567.

If that doesn't work, then please read through an answer that I wrote for someone else with a similar difficulty, and some of the proposed solutions for them.  The (clickable) link to that post is copied below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3721500

If none of those solutions prove viable for you, then please contact us at live customer telephone support.  Our agents have the ability to screen-share with customers TurboTax files, and we can probably find you an alternative solution. 

We are live during the busy tax season from 5AM to 9PM (Pacific Time), 7 days a week.  Here is the link to our main support ticket webpage:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thank you for your question; and on behalf of the many veterans and non-veterans at TurboTax, we also thank you for your military service.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

It actually makes sense that your state ID number would be blank on your W-2, if your home state is Texas.  That's for the very simple reason that (as I'm certain you are already aware) Texas has no personal income tax system.  Nevertheless, because of the security and error-checking features in the TurboTax software, and because of IRS requirements for e-filing, this can pose a problem.

As a very first attempt at a solution, I would respectfully suggest that you just enter your federal ID (your EIN from your W-2, that is) over again in the state ID box.  That should be an acceptable value, although you may need to remove the dash, such that 99-1234567 becomes 991234567.

If that doesn't work, then please read through an answer that I wrote for someone else with a similar difficulty, and some of the proposed solutions for them.  The (clickable) link to that post is copied below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3721500

If none of those solutions prove viable for you, then please contact us at live customer telephone support.  Our agents have the ability to screen-share with customers TurboTax files, and we can probably find you an alternative solution. 

We are live during the busy tax season from 5AM to 9PM (Pacific Time), 7 days a week.  Here is the link to our main support ticket webpage:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thank you for your question; and on behalf of the many veterans and non-veterans at TurboTax, we also thank you for your military service.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies