turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MariaTT

Issue Generating W-4

There appears to be a bug generating a W-4 from Turbotax Deluxe 2023 CD version on Windows 10. Adding a W-4 from an Fed/NYState *eFiled* return and completing the worksheets without *any deductions*, Turbotax appears to populate line 4(b) with the Credits total on Line 3 on the generated Form W-4 T (Taxpayer). See upload code 1212510 for data.

Steps to reproduce:

• Use Turbotax Deluxe 2023, complete Federal and NY State return as a *Head of Household* and taking *Standard Deduction*, with three children with two qualifying for child credit for TY2024. In this case this return resulted in a Fed refund and NY State payment. 
  • eFile Fed and NY State returns. Close Turboxtax.
  • Open Turbotax, goto Forms. Search and open 'Form W-4 T' (Taxpayer). Leave checkbox cleared for autofill.
  • Quickzoom to 'Estimated Taxes and Form W-4 Worksheet' (ES & W4 Wks).
  • In ES & W4 Wks, check 'By withholding from my paychecks'.
  • Enter 2024 Expected 'Compensation' Salary and Medicare Wages.
  • Enter a small value for 'Net Investment Income' under 'Other Income'.
  • In the 'Tax Calculation for Your 2024 Tax Return' section enter a value for 'Income Tax', '2024 Expected'.
  • The form ES & W4 Wks correctly shows $4500 child credit for the two qualifying children.
  • Quickzoom to 'Additional Information for Form W-4 Worksheet' (Form W-4 Info).
  • In the 'Enter Salary and Pay Periods for 2024' section, enter a value for 'Salary you have already generated'. Enter a value for 'Number of paychecks you have remaining this year'. Enter a value for 'How often you are paid'.
  • Return to 'Form W-4 T' and under Step 4, Line 4(b), will show the $4500 Child credit value from Line 3. No deduction was enter during this process.

Is bug?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Issue Generating W-4

Please clarify your question.

Unfortunately, we can't see your screen to see where you are, so I'll have to ask you a couple of questions.

I think you said "The form correctly shows $4500 child credit for the two qualifying children."

Why is there a problem with it being carried to the W-4?

Please contact us again and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MariaTT

Issue Generating W-4

The post was misunderstood. The problem is, beyond the standard head of household deduction, no other deduction was entered in the above mentioned forms. Line 4(b) in Step 4 (Other Adjustments) on 'Form W-4 T' should be blank. But instead, it appears that the value in Step 3, Line 3 on 'Form W-4 T' is copied to Line 4(b) in Step 4. In this specific situation, Line 4(b) in Step 4 on 'Form W-4 T' should be blank. This is a bug in TurboTax.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Issue Generating W-4

Go through the interview instead of making changes in Forms Mode.    Here's how to generate and print a new W-4 using TurboTax:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for W-4 and select the Jump to link.
  3. Answer Yes to Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2024?
  4. The following screens will ask you for your filing status, number of dependents, expected income, deductions, and other factors. Answer the questions as best you can for the most accurate result.
  5. You'll eventually come to Print Form W-4 Results. Select the button(s) to print your W-4 form(s).
  6. Print (or make) a second copy for your records and give the original to your payroll department. Do not file the W-4 with your tax return.
MariaTT

Issue Generating W-4

I saw this advise listed earlier and tried to follow the instructions, however my desktop version of Turbo Tax doesn't seem to have the "jump to" feature.  Am I missing something?

Issue Generating W-4

@MariaTT wrote:

I saw this advise listed earlier and tried to follow the instructions, however my desktop version of Turbo Tax doesn't seem to have the "jump to" feature.  Am I missing something?

Using the TurboTax desktop editions -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)

Click on Other Tax Situations

Under Other Tax Forms

On W-4 and estimated taxes, click on the start button

Issue Generating W-4

Jump to should be there buts it's tricky to get it to show up.  Try this

Go to….

Federal Taxes or Personal (Deskop H&B)

Other Tax Situations

Other Tax Forms

Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

MariaTT

Issue Generating W-4

Using the Step-by-Step method (using same values in original post) served to find more bugs in TurboTax and validate the erronous entry on Line 4(b) on the generated Form W-4. Line 4(b) should be blank on the generated Form W-4, but it appears the Credits value from Step 3 is carried to Step 4, Line 4(b). The second bug is the Step-by-Step generated a Form W-4 with 'Single or Married filing separately' checked [Step 1(c)] when this return was filed as 'Head of household'. What does it take for Intuit to acknowledge these bugs????

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Issue Generating W-4

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies