turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does 2017 packaged "Store Bought" Turbo Tax Deluxe CD support Schedule D and Form 8949 and will the CD version support free filing of Federal and Virginia State Taxes?

I am getting conflicting info from Turbo Tax websites. I want to buy the retail packaged product in a "Box Store" and want to know where or how I can confirm that the "Deluxe" Product will support Schedule D and Form 8949 as well as include  free file of both my Fed and State Taxes for 2017.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does 2017 packaged "Store Bought" Turbo Tax Deluxe CD support Schedule D and Form 8949 and will the CD version support free filing of Federal and Virginia State Taxes?

Yes all the Desktop programs have the same forms.  You just get more help in the higher versions.

For state.......first of all there are 2 different Deluxe versions in the stores.  Deluxe with a free state program download and Deluxe without a state for states that don’t have a state income.  So be sure the box or online description says Federal +Efile+State.

Then what you get is one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns.  But each state return including the first one is 24.99 to efile.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Yes all the Desktop programs have the same forms.  You just get more help in the higher versions.

For state.......first of all there are 2 different Deluxe versions in the stores.  Deluxe with a free state program download and Deluxe without a state for states that don’t have a state income.  So be sure the box or online description says Federal +Efile+State.

Then what you get is one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns.  But each state return including the first one is 24.99 to efile.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

Thank you VolvoGirl.

I am a seasoned user of Turbo Tax; but things change over time. I have used  Turbo Tax "Free File" in the past with great results; but this year I would be more comfortable with filing 1040 as opposed to 1040A because I must report sale of mutual funds and it is my understanding that Free File and other methods don't work.

However, cost is a major factor. I know that Turbo Tax CD version of Premium is more sophiscated; and now know that Deluxe CD version will or should support Schedule D and Form 8949.

But, can I get by with a 2017 Turbo Tax Basic CD and get support for both Schedule D and Form 8949.

Bottom Line, when my taxes are done, I want a copy of the 2017 1040, Schedule A & B as well as Schedule D and the Form 8949.

The Desktop Basic version does not have a state program.  You first asked about Deluxe.

Thanks again VolvoGirl  for your quick and efficient response.

I am hoping that the product itself will clearly say on the outside of the packaging that certain things can or cannot be done with the CD so that consumers like you and I will find it relatively easy to identify the right package for our particular situation, then buy and open the package without any concern about what we are going to get from the packaged product.

As time has gone by, the packaging or advertising has tended to be confusing to some of us and we are overspending or underspending and wasting a lot of precious time each year as we try to file our taxes.

For whatever reason a lot of the advertising and  website information about tax software in general -  (what it supports or does not support) - ...is getting slicker and more expensive; but the product in many cases is not meeting the need of the consumer at a reasonable cost.

Isn’t there a chart on the back of the box comparing the versions?

No doubt there is something on the packaging that gives the consumer some idea. I.E. "Basic", "Deluxe," "Premier, "Business" ect. OR the packaging may say "Homeowners/Investors"; "Small Busness" or "1040" filers versus "1040A filers," but in my experience it has become increasingly difficult to simply and easily determine whether or not the software supports certain schedules or forms that a taxpayer knows or should know that they will need to file.

Most on this website forum page should find that whatever they used last year will work this year; but a consumer's tax situation can and no doubt will change from year to year.

The last thing a consumer needs is to over buy or worse - under buy.  How many times have you been in the middle of doing your taxes to find that the software tells you that you need to UPGRADE or start over.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies