Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to delete the charities I used last year, so my import of new donations doesn't duplicate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is there a way to delete the charities I used last year, so my import of new donations doesn't duplicate?

@Anonymous 

Well, there is no exact way to do it the way you want...but there is an easy way.

This is for the "Online" software (but probably works in desktop too)

Before you enter any charity donations.

1) Log in and open yoru tax file, and go to the Deductions&Credits page

2) Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Continue"

3)  I get the following page to easily take out all charities not used:

(but you may see more pages that intervene, depending on what's not in your file so far)

CharityDelete.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Even if you already imported from Quicken, as long as the carry-over charities don't have $$ entered in them, they'll still show up on that yes-no list.

The problem of duplication comes when you make actual $$ entries in the carry-over charities before importing them from the second source.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Yes there is.

1. Login to your Turbo Tax account.
  2. Select, "Pick up where you left off".
  3. Then select "Deductions and Credits".
  4. When your list of deductions and credits appear, look for the delete symbol (trash can), and delete the information you would like removed.
  5. Then navigate back to the "Charitable Donations" section and select "Import from ItsDeductible Online" to import your current information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I wanted to delete the entire list of charities carried in from the prior year. This is a "bug" in TurboTax, in that the 2021 tax year's charity list is carried in during the initial setup of the 2022 tax year, and then when I import the 2022 amounts from Quicken, the prior list doesn't populate with the new donation amounts for the same charities. I am left with a duplicate list with zero amounts, followed by the new list with correct amounts. TurboTax should either allow me to stop the import of the 2021 list, or properly apply the 2022 amounts to the 2021 charity list. Barring that, there should be a means to mark the entire 2021 list and delete it, rather than having to delete each of the dozens of 2021 charities I have one by one.

@Anonymous 

Well, there is no exact way to do it the way you want...but there is an easy way.

This is for the "Online" software (but probably works in desktop too)

Before you enter any charity donations.

1) Log in and open yoru tax file, and go to the Deductions&Credits page

2) Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Continue"

3)  I get the following page to easily take out all charities not used:

(but you may see more pages that intervene, depending on what's not in your file so far)

CharityDelete.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I see that, at least in the "Walk me through everything" process, though I usually use the "Let me choose..." method. But still there is no option to select and remove the entire list. I literally have over 100 charities. And TurboTax should warn you at that stage that, if you plan to import them later from Quicken, you need to delete them NOW.

I only use "Let Me Choose....", and that list shows up in that process too (which is what I used to get the picture)   

In the Guide Me, you might have to go thru tons of Q&A pages to get to the list....in the Let Me Choose, you can get to the deletion list almost right away. 

Opinion: The walk thru is a brain dead process, and too many people miss waaaay to much....And we get hundreds of complaints later in this forum EVERY year, like "Gee, the software never asked me for my 1099-R forms so I filed without them....not my fault !!"  Bah...even get people complaining they didn't enter their W-2 forms because the software didn't ask for it....... Riggght.....

Even if you already imported from Quicken, as long as the carry-over charities don't have $$ entered in them, they'll still show up on that yes-no list.

The problem of duplication comes when you make actual $$ entries in the carry-over charities before importing them from the second source.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll be more careful when I import - next year!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies