turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmagnell

Is there a reason why there is a number on line 14 on the Schedule SE form under Optional Methods To Figure Net Earnings if I'm not a farmer?

I'm self employed. But not in farming.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Is there a reason why there is a number on line 14 on the Schedule SE form under Optional Methods To Figure Net Earnings if I'm not a farmer?

No. Line 14 is for taxpayers using the Farm Optional Method. Self-employed persons can use the Nonfarm Optional Method. 

• Type sch se in Search in the upper right
  • Select Jump to sch se
  • Click Make Adjustments
  • Skip over Enter Income Adjustments
  • Say YES to Nonfarm Optional Method and answer the questions.

If the net nonfarm income was less than $5,891 and less than 72.189% of gross nonfarm income, you may choose the nonfarm optional method to figure the self-employment tax. The taxpayer may not use this method more than five times and net self-employment income must have been $400 or more for at least two out of the last three years prior to this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dzormelo
Returning Member

I have the same problem with a figure of $5,640 showing up under Schedule SE Part II line 14.  This is for Farm Optional Method and I do not have a farm.  I checked all my responses to make sure I had not indicated anywhere that I had farm income and I didn't.  The reply here by the expert does not address that this should not be there and how to remove it. 

HOW CAN THIS AMOUNT BE REMOVED FROM SCHEDULE SE? Does it impact any of the other calculations on this schedule or the return?

2020 Schedule SE line 7 $137,700 and Part II line 14 $5,640 are prefilled amounts.  Line 7 is the max amount subject to Social Security Tax.  If your total W2 and SE income is more than that you don't pay SS tax on the amount over $137,700.  If your income is less then box 7 doesn't figure into it.

See it's even on the blank IRS SE form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sse.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies