Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ex wife refuse to give a copy of 1095A.

My kids have insurance through my job since 2015. I always claim 1 of my kids. This year IRS send a letter saying my son was covered by the marketplace under my ex wife account so I need to send a 1095A form. My ex wife refuse to give me a copy to send to IRS. How can I proceed? IRS will not release my refund until I send the letter, and If I have my kids under my insurance is not illegal that my ex wife put them on a marketplace insurance??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

This is a legal question - not a tax question.

Talk to your divorce attorney.   If your divorce decree allowed you to claim the dependent child then your ex might be in contempt of the decree by refusing to provide information that allows you to claim.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

is there a number on the notice?.   if so call it and explain your situation.    

the IRS should have a copy of the 1096-A which if you are correct should be under her SSN not yours

Kjoyner88

This has happened to me as well for the last 2 years. have submitted a letter to the IRS along with proof that my dependents had medical insurance through my job all year. I just send in medical coverage certification from the insurance company and a copy of 1095-B supplied by my employer and the IRS approved my return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies