Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a benefit to paying the TT fees UP FRONT vs. having them w/held from my return?

In 2016, I had the fees w/held from my return.  Once filed, it took the IRS WMR site 3 days to "accept"/give me one bar.  I filed on 01/13/2016 and received my return on 02/22/2016.  I noticed it sat in the Bank of Santa Barbara for a LONG time (I've read it goes there BECAUSE this is where TT collects their fee(s) and THEN direct deposits/loads pre-paid cards).  I've seen people complain that this EXTRA "stop" delays the returns.

THIS YEAR, I did NOT want it going to a 3rd party where it can sit.  I paid for my fees UP FRONT.  I filed on 01/19/2018 and it was "accepted"/sitting at one bar on the IRS WMR site within an HOUR of submitting it.  It also states "We have received your tax return and it is being processed."

What has been the experience of people who have had TT fees w/held from refunds VERSUS paying them up front?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is there a benefit to paying the TT fees UP FRONT vs. having them w/held from my return?

The very obvious benefit is that you get to avoid the "processing" cost - $39.99? - of paying for your income tax return from your refund.  I'd also guess that everything else being equal you'd always get your money sooner too since it doesn't have to go through another pair of hands before it gets to you.

Quite frankly I think it's absolutely idiotic to pay for your income tax return by using your refund.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The very obvious benefit is that you get to avoid the "processing" cost - $39.99? - of paying for your income tax return from your refund.  I'd also guess that everything else being equal you'd always get your money sooner too since it doesn't have to go through another pair of hands before it gets to you.

Quite frankly I think it's absolutely idiotic to pay for your income tax return by using your refund.

Tom Young

Well.  Thank you for that.  Last year I wasn't blessed with having the funds (for the services I needed) at the time I filed.  I understand why they offer the service - I simply wondered if it TRULY made that much of an effect on return time AND if OTHER people have had the same experience (or, have had their fees withheld and had a FAST turn-around time - isn't that possible).

I'm glad to know I was only "idiotic" last year, but not this year.  AND, appreciate your insight to my intelligence level - it gave me a good giggle.

For anyone who must use the service of having your fees withheld your refund (NO matter the situation), I  personally do not believe you are idiotic!  I posted the question for others to share their EXPERIENCE - not their opinions on individuals intelligence.

have you updated to a ddd yet? if so how early did you get your refund?

@Ummmmwho  Do you have a question?  You posted a blank.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies