turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

edspicer

Is short term disability I got from California taxable?

I am just wondering if I have to claim my California short term disability.  I received short term disability from the state of California because I required a procedure on my back that kept me out of work for 3 months.  It was not from a job injury and was paid out by the state.  Is that income taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

While TurboTaxDwayneM's answer may be accurate for most cases, I have to add an important consideration to amend that answer.  I have bolded an important phrase below in the information from the California state.  There are circumstances in which your SDI is taxable.

"SDI benefits are taxable only if paid as a substitute for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. This could occur if a person was receiving UI benefits and then became disabled. When SDI benefits are received as a substitute for UI benefits, the SDI is taxable by the federal government but is not taxable by the State of California."

View solution in original post

8 Replies

While TurboTaxDwayneM's answer may be accurate for most cases, I have to add an important consideration to amend that answer.  I have bolded an important phrase below in the information from the California state.  There are circumstances in which your SDI is taxable.

"SDI benefits are taxable only if paid as a substitute for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. This could occur if a person was receiving UI benefits and then became disabled. When SDI benefits are received as a substitute for UI benefits, the SDI is taxable by the federal government but is not taxable by the State of California."

bekkamae

If you leave work because of a disability and receive disability benefits, those benefits are not taxable. However, if you are receiving unemployment benefits, become disabled, and begin receiving disability benefits; those DI benefits are considered a substitute for UI and are taxable up to your UI maximum benefit amount.
seanrad77

What if you were working full time and then went out on disability (collecting SDI/disability insurance) for a surgery for a couple of weeks and then went back to work... Was not on unemployment during this time.
bekkamae

No need to claim.  Only if from unemployment to sdi.
bekkamae

If you leave work because of a disability and receive disability benefits, those benefits are not taxable. However, if you are receiving unemployment benefits, become disabled, and begin receiving disability benefits; those DI benefits are considered a substitute for UI and are taxable up to your UI maximum benefit amount.
lopezk593

can you receive a tax break if you were on short term disability? or can you claim you were disabled? I was off work for almost a year due to hip surgery. Can i claim that under work deductions?
DwayneM

No. If the disability payments is from the state (i.e. California SDI), then no. That is short term disability that is a result of an injury that prevents you from working, so that would not be taxable. Please click the link below for more information.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/About_the_Program.htm

bekkamae

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies