Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

juntuka1
Returning Member

IRS rejected tax return, credit card payment still pending

I am trying to file a joint return with my wife who deceased during 2019. IRS has now rejected 2018 AGI for spouse twice. The number entered for her AGI is the same as in our joint 2018 tax filing done with on-line turbotax (verified, several times). At this point I am resigned to mail in the return with a check for taxes due. The question is what happens with the 'L@G*US TREAS TAX PYMT' tax charge that sits as pending on my credit card account? How do I get rid of that or will IRS somehow release it after receiving my check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Since your return was rejected then no payment was be sent to the IRS. In this case, it is like you never filed. You can call your credit card company to confirm the charge did not go through.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Since your return was rejected then no payment was be sent to the IRS. In this case, it is like you never filed. You can call your credit card company to confirm the charge did not go through.

This is the exact situation I am in. My wife died at the end of last year. We have been using Turbo Tax for several years. Now when I go to file it says it is rejected because of my wife’s 2018 AGI doesn’t match. I have triple checked that it is using the correct number.  I also owed money this year and used a credit card to pay it, which is still pending on my card. I am wondering if there is some glitch going on for this type of tax return with a deceased spouse. I have never had any issues e-filing and now I am going to have to mail my tax return in as well.

mikejay

In addition,, What happens to the 3d party processing fee for the Federal rejection of the tax return.  Does this get canceled also? My state return was also rejected so does the Intuit state filing fee get removed too? I have to mail my returns in so just want an answer

Georgiatorres99
Returning Member

I can not get my taxes to go threw

tchughes

My taxes were rejected, but my credit card shows a pending amount? Will the charge not go thru? 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Is the payment pending for your TurboTax fees or your tax payment owed to the IRS?

@tchughes 

tchughes

Both are pending, which is funny, it takes weeks for a refund, and I will get charged even when rejected. I was told by a turbotax rep that the charge will not go thru?

I made the correction and want to resubmit, but it's having me charge to my  credit card again, which I would have thousands over in pending charges to my card.  So I'm in a holding pattern to wait for that charge on my credit card not to go thru from the rejected submission.

I hope it doesn't charge, I just went thru with an amendment and it still is pending a year later, for a simple fix, so if I'm charged thousands more I know I won't see that money for at least half a year!

Sk99
Level 2

Hey I am in the same boat. Did the charge fall off ?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Look for an ACTION NEEDED! email from turbotax@intuit.com. It will give you a brief explanation of your rejection and how to fix it.

If you did not receive an email then sign in to TurboTax, select Fix my return, and you will see your reject code and explanation.
How do I fix a rejected return?

If the IRS rejected your return yet is still trying to debit the payment owed, you can contact them for information.
How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

Sk99
Level 2

The charge came immediately after turbo got my card info and the charge is pending and my status in turbo is still rejected. It said when I was putting my card info, YOUR CARD WILL NOT BE CHARGED TILL YOUR RETURN IS ACCEPTED BY IRS!! And here we are!! Is it gonna drop off?
I gave up on filing with turbo and submitted some other source and they accepted.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the above post on how to contact the IRS to inquire. 

@Sk99

angryme

I do not, will not, make a payment through the application.  I recommend everyone do the same.  

Intuit uses a 3rd party but does NOT forward the confirmation number.  The charges show as pending

immediately.  You will need the confirmation number to look up the payment on the IRS Site.

You cannot dispute the charge until it clears (at least not with my bank). If I go back into the app

to change the AGI to 0 (as a test), it wants to charge me again. If the IRS makes any adjustments

to the prior year, you will have to order a transcript and wait 2+ months. If I print out the tax form, it

says to include a check.  I called the helpdesk and the person was utterly useless.  They do not know the

process when this happens (how many thousands of times does it happen?).  This support thread

is a year old so Intuit hasn't figured it out yet.  Bottom Line - use TurboTax but never never never pay

through Turbo Tax. 

Hi, I know it's been a year, but do you remember if your pending charge dropped off?

My return was rejected as well, but see the pending charge on my CC. 

Thanks 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies