Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Free File Discontinuation

Came here to say that I'm saddened to hear that Intuit / Turbo Tax is discontinuing support of IRS Free File. I have been using Turbo Tax to file my taxes since 1998, utilizing the IRS Free File option the last few years. I've become familiar with the user interface and it was convenient to have all my tax data in one location. Intuit has been a leader in tax prep and producing consistently innovative tools, which is why I'm also an investor. But as I will qualify for Free File again this year, and because I'm fiscally responsible, with a heavy-heart I will reluctantly use a new product at tax time. It's been real, TT!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TurboTax will not be participating in the IRS Free File program for 2021 returns.   And the online TurboTax Free Edition is very limited to only simple returns--so be careful----if your return requires any of the schedules or extra forms then an upgrade to a paid version will be required.

There are still eight various software providers who will participate in the Free File program but they will not be available until sometime in January----so if you want to use one of them---WAIT.

Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free  when the program opens in January

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

FYI ... H&R Block stopped a year earlier so now the 2 big giants in this industry have pulled out ... it will be interesting to see what happens to the free file alliance in the future.

@hot4money, I completely understand your position.  Since you are familiar with the interface, before you make a decision, I would encourage you to check out TT's free option.  It is for simple tax returns but you may find it fits your needs.  If you click on the hyperlink "For Simple Tax Returns Only" it will outline what is & isn't included.  Below is a link.  BTW, I'm not an employee of TT.  Hope this helps.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

@Critter-3  @TaxTim1  Thank you for your responses. My taxes are more complex than the TurboTax Free Edition allows so I will be utilizing another from the remaining IRS free file providers for 2021. I will also be keeping my eyes on the future of the Free File Alliance - and which providers will now rise to the top! This is a real opportunity loss, TT - not too late to change your mind!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies