shaunssimmons

Innocent spouse for state not federal

I filed the injured spouse form with my federal return but I need to do the same for my state. I am unable to find the correct way to do this on turbotax website

ChristinaS

Innocent spouse for state not federal

Indiana only offers Innocent Spouse. This would not be applicable to student loan offsets and is a lot less common than Injured Spouse.

You file an Innocent Spouse form with Indiana if and when you receive a notice of deficiency for the year in question (i.e. 2016).

If we are talking about back taxes from another year, Innocent Spouse does not apply. Also, Indiana does not offer an Injured Spouse option relating to prior year tax issues, student loans, etc.

ChristinaS

Innocent spouse for state not federal

And the state is___?
shaunssimmons

Innocent spouse for state not federal

indiana
ChristinaS

Innocent spouse for state not federal

Are you injured or innocent? You mentioned both.
shaunssimmons

Innocent spouse for state not federal

for federal i file injured due to my spouse student loans. previous year I had to file innocent through the state, does the state offer the injured spouse? I thought they only offer innocent. the state is for a prior tax liability of my spouses prior to us being a couple
ChristinaS

Innocent spouse for state not federal