Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Innocent spouse for state not federal

I filed the injured spouse form with my federal return but I need to do the same for my state. I am unable to find the correct way to do this on turbotax website
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Indiana only offers Innocent Spouse. This would not be applicable to student loan offsets and is a lot less common than Injured Spouse.

You file an Innocent Spouse form with Indiana if and when you receive a notice of deficiency for the year in question (i.e. 2016).

If we are talking about back taxes from another year, Innocent Spouse does not apply. Also, Indiana does not offer an Injured Spouse option relating to prior year tax issues, student loans, etc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

And the state is___?

indiana
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Are you injured or innocent? You mentioned both.

for federal i file injured due to my spouse student loans. previous year I had to file innocent through the state, does the state offer the injured spouse? I thought they only offer innocent. the state is for a prior tax liability of my spouses prior to us being a couple
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Indiana only offers Innocent Spouse. This would not be applicable to student loan offsets and is a lot less common than Injured Spouse.

You file an Innocent Spouse form with Indiana if and when you receive a notice of deficiency for the year in question (i.e. 2016).

If we are talking about back taxes from another year, Innocent Spouse does not apply. Also, Indiana does not offer an Injured Spouse option relating to prior year tax issues, student loans, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies