turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jessmalou

In TurboTax, how do I prepare my husband's WV return as married but filing separately, if we filed jointly for federal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax, how do I prepare my husband's WV return as married but filing separately, if we filed jointly for federal?

To file a state return as Married Filing Separate, you need to create a Federal Return as Married Filing Separate.  This Federal return is just for informational purposes only.

Once you have created the Married Filing Separate Federal Return, then you create the West Virginia return from that information.

If you are using TurboTax online you will need to set up a separate account to create the Married Filing Separate return, or you can use the Desktop Version of TurboTax where you can create up to 5 Federal returns at no additional cost.

@jessmalou

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you need to file a Joint federal and separate state returns

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-se...

Reading the FAQ it looks like you have to use 3 accounts.  One to file the Joint return.  Then you each need another account to fill out fake federal MFS returns to do your separate state returns.    So you will have to PAY for 3 online accounts (3 federal returns and 2 state returns).  That's why it's cheaper to use the Desktop installed program.    If you don't have a computer to install the desktop program on maybe it would be cheaper and easier to go to a local accountant or tax place.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies