scifigal2k

In 2019 I sold one of my two blogs through Flippa. I'm really confused on if it's considered miscellaneous income or capital gains.

Rainman12

If you created the blog, it would be ordinary/miscellaneous income, subject to Social Security (Self-Employment) taxes - reported on Schedule C as Self-Employment. Any 2019 costs paid for creating (eg, paying someone to do graphics, or software purchased only for that blog) can be deducted from gross income as 'ordinary and necessary' expenses. 

awas

@Rainman12 What if I purchase a blog (domain+content), that is making monthly revenue, would that be considered an intangible property and would need to amortize over 15 years? This website blog is not part of a bigger business, it is a standalone money making site.

LeonardS

The sale of intellectual property is now consider ordinary income.  It is no longer treated as a capital asset.